New 50% Sibling Discount for Early Childhood Music Classes, effective March 1, 2016
- Discount applicable to early childhood classes: Drum & Sing, Tiny Tunes Music and Family Music Makers.
- Discount applicable to children under the age of 4 in the same family, registered for the same class
- For families with 3 or more children, maximum of two discounts per session
Our Spring Session begins April 10th, 2017 – Registration is now open, and the deadline for registration is April 3rd. Registration is incomplete without payment, due April 10th.
Please refer to our updated Program Policies.
MUSIC AND MOVEMENT CLASSES
Family Music Makers
FMM repertoire (of over 200 songs) features:
- Original songs based on life from a child’s point of view
- Traditional songs that help to keep our musical heritage alive
- Familiar songs with a new musical twist
- Music styles and genres from around the world
- Over 40 fabulous local musicians who contributed to our recordings so we could achieve authentic sounding arrangements, true to each genre
Ages: 1.5 – 3.5 accompanied by a caregiver
- Saturdays – 11:15 a.m. to Noon in North End (9 Hull Street)
- First Class: April 15, 2017
- Last Class: June 24, 2017
Instructor: Susan Davies
Cost: $195 / 10 Weeks
Get ready for a hands-on, LIVE musical experience designed to introduce children to rhythm, instruments, and singing! With a strong focus on live music, participants will have the opportunity to play drums, egg shakers, recorders, bells, rhythm sticks, triangles, guitar, and more. The children learn beginner note reading and participate in a wide array of interactive songs, dances, and games designed to improve their listening and motor skills and show them how to keep a beat. The teacher uses live piano to lead sing-alongs, and children will learn a variety of musical styles from around the world. This class will prepare students for private or group music instruction program.
Meet the Instruments JUNIOR Class at Charlestown Nursery School
CNS Students Only
Ages: 3 to 5 accompanied by a caregiver
- Wednesday’s – 1:00 – 2:00 p.m.
Instructor: Susan Davies
Cost: $250 / 10 Weeks
First Class: April 12, 2017
Last Class: June 21, 2017
- Class 1 and 2: Brass Family
- Class 3 and 4: Strings Family
- Class 5 and 6: Guitar Family
- Class 7 and 8 : Woodwinds Family
- Class 9 and 10: Keyboard / Voice Families
- Percussion: Will be featured in each week with rhythmic exercises
SJS Strings Program JR – St. John Students Only!
Age: Grades K3 – K5
Schedule: Thurdays – 2:45 – 3:30 p.m.
Instructor: Nicole Kootz
Location: St. John School
Cost: $195 / 10 weeks
First Class: April 27, 2017
Last Class: June 29, 2017
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: April 17th
Students for this beginning strings class will start out with a box violin as they learn to properly handle and care for a string instrument. We will learn rest position, guitar position, playing position, proper posture, and develop beautiful bow holds, all without the worry of possibly dropping and damaging rental instruments. We will play a variety of educational games to develop our violin skills as well as basic musical concepts, such as if the pitch is higher or lower, and marching along with different songs to learn all about the beat. There may also be fun stories about different composers along the way!
Once everyone in class can demonstrate proper handling of their box violin, we will use the last few classes of the session to transfer to a violin. We will learn string names, the start of using our fingers to find notes, and play our first E string Concerto.
Expectation for first class: That everyone has a box violin, which can either be constructed with a macaroni box and paint stirrer, or can be purchased here: http://www.sharmusic.com/Accessories/Teaching-Aids/Cherub-Box-Violin-and-Bow.axd#sthash.F6iEvzm4.dpbs. Instructions can be provided to parents who wish to make their own. A sponge shoulder rest, or regular shoulder rest is highly recommended! Students will have a hard time keeping the instrument on their shoulder without one.